Technorati href="http://www.technorProfile Thinking Nurse: How To Pass Your Driving Test, And All Your Nursing Exams

Thinking Nurse

This blog will reflect my interests in learning disabilities, nursing, nursing theory, philosophy and politics and my general interests in the arts and literature. (Nursing is an art as well as a science!) Philosophy and nursing have been intrinsically linked since the days of Socrates, his mother was a midwife, and taught him everything he knew!

Friday, April 22, 2005

How To Pass Your Driving Test, And All Your Nursing Exams

Exams and tests are tough. They are highly demanding on the body, as well as the mind!

I tend to rationalise the sweat and misery they cause with the thought that if they were easy, they would not be worth doing.

I had a mock exam on Wednesday, and a driving test on Thursday morning. The good news is that I have finally passed my driving! I have failed this test twice before, last time with a total nervous 'shed collapse'. I think the examiner was as relieved as I was when we finally got back to the test centre.

Yesterday however, although I was nervous, I managed to control it, keeping the ride largely smooth and calm, though I was a jelly when I finished.

Is there a secret to passing exams and tests?

I dont really think there is. There are things you can do, like planning, revising, preparing yourself.

I find with exams that it helps a lot to actually be interested in the subjects that you are studying - if you are interested in something, you tend to remember the facts and ideas you will need to pass.

The other side I suppose is just not giving up. Nobody passes every time, and when you dont pass, you have to deal with the awful feelings that creates, then get back on your feet and do it all again.

The good news is that the more tests and exams you do, the better you get at them, so even an exam where you dont pass is not wasted effort.

Every so often, I try and think of a better, fairer way for nurses, or people who want to drive on the roads to demonstrate their abilities than at least partly in a test or exam. I really wish I could think of one!

4 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Seyms said...

Getting through exams is something for which each individual needs to evolve a method that works for them. The moment of enlightenment came for me when I suddenly realised I didn't have to copy what everyone else was doing - which looked far too stressful. Here are a couple of things that really do work for me and may work for others who care to try.

1) I Take extra care of my physical and mental wellbeing before and during exam periods. Frequent breaks, decent amounts of rest and recreation, good food. Don't curtail your social life. Try not to get into a cycle of dependence on caffeine or sugar. Half and hour away from the books can be just as productive as half an hour with them. This is why I would often be seen playing tennis and listening to music while everyone else was wearing themselves out with revision. Now is a good time to cultivate an appreciation of Mozart and or Bach.

2) Reading through old notes is extremely boring. I aim to hit the exam with a load of fresh new learning in my head, ideas half formed and buzzing away. To this end I get hold of some books that are on topic but that I have not read yet. That is the main way I "revise"
except it is not revision, it's new learning which is much more exciting. You make connections in your head with old and new knowledge and feel much more stimulated by the whole subject. In the six weeks running up to an exam my only preparation is sitting and reading new material.

3)Hardcore cramming! I make use of the short term memory by cribbing up intensively on a handful of topics the night before and even the morning right up to entering the exam room. It is not a panic option but a deliberate strategy. Suck in all you can in those last few hours before the clock starts - it's like a sprint to the finish line, starting about 8-12 hourse before the end of the exam itself.

4) Finally, in that exam room: don't panic (you won't die); treat the examiner like an idiot and explain everything so he/she sees you understand; and basically strut your stuff - show off like crazy. You are a fountain of knowledge!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Work From Home Center said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about business home online opportunity work
so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, i am learning about blogs and like what you did in yours, I have a blog about help. PLease come visit.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Spindrift said...

Hello, Just wandering the blogosphere and happened on your blog. I like the way how you have put it all together. I'll be coming back again.

Regards,

Degree MSN online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.
Technorati search
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter Who Links Here Blogarama - The Blog Directory