Technorati href="http://www.technorProfile Thinking Nurse: A Carnival For Nursing Blogs? - Who Wants One?

Thinking Nurse

This blog will reflect my interests in learning disabilities, nursing, nursing theory, philosophy and politics and my general interests in the arts and literature. (Nursing is an art as well as a science!) Philosophy and nursing have been intrinsically linked since the days of Socrates, his mother was a midwife, and taught him everything he knew!

Thursday, April 07, 2005

A Carnival For Nursing Blogs? - Who Wants One?

I have been thinking more about starting a Nursing Blog Carnival. Basically the definition of a blog carnival is where a group of bloggers each sends their best posts (or nominates other peoples best posts) to a central blogger, who collates them, then presents them as a 'carnival'. This is done on a regular basis, and the person who hosts the carnival can alternate. It is a great way of getting your blog more widely known, and of finding out about some of the excellent writing that is going on.

WHY A NURSING BLOG CARNIVAL?

Why a nursing blog carnival I hear you ask - are there not already very excellent carnivals in existence, like the wonderful and popular 'GRAND ROUNDS'.

Yes indeed there are - and nurses have posted some excellent bits of writing there, (even I have put a couple of my own efforts up) but isnt it time we nurses as a profession came out of the shadow of the biomedical establishment, and expressed our own collective reflective voice?

After all we come from a rather different perspective from many of the other medical professions - a unique 24 hour/lifetime professional relationship with the people we care for. So we have unique things to say, which we have every right to express in an independent way.

WHAT SHALL WE CALL IT?

I'm not sure yet, but I have thought of two alternatives: 'Nursing Moments' (Inspired by the idea of the 'Nursing Moment', that therapeutic instant of connectedness between nurse and client), or 'Head and Heart and Hands' - (Inspired by the true tools of nursing; our abilities to think, feel and act). I am open for suggestions if people can think of a better name, and for indications about which alternative is preferable.

WHO WILL DO IT?

I am willing to host the first carnival, if there is a call for it. - But it means that YOU will have to post your best articles to me via my email: thinkingnurse AT coolgoose DOT com. If you are up for such a carnival, and willing to play your part, please post a comment below. If you think that nurses should not have a blog carnival of their own, or are not capable of sustaining one, please post below too!

6 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger EmJC said...

I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. I think we just might be capable.

Name suggestions:
caRNival (cringe)
Nurse's Notes (double cringe)

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger A.J. said...

Sounds excellent. I would definitely enjoy more exposure to nursing blogs & would be happy to include something from my "pre-nursing" blog if you plan to include such writing. I'm feeling a bit dry on names, but will try to come up with one or two.

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger HypnoKitten said...

Hi, just managed to find you today.

I like the idea of a nursing-oriented grand-rounds type of thing. I don't always have a lot to say, But I think I've had a few decent posts.

About a name - you could call it the same thing it's called when a group of nurses get together and tell stories form their day - Report. Maybe RN Report or something like that. I came from another industry where we called report 'Passdown' and for some reason I call it that a lot accidentally in the hospital also. It just means a time when people tell each other whats up. Passdown might be a good name.

Head, heart, hands is nice, but not all nurses want to be seen as nice all of the time. Sometimes I'd like to be seen as an avenging amazon, raging against the establishment as a patient advocate. Certain people might fear a person like that... ;)

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Oh I like Report, or In Report. I have so many posts about nursing, I wouldn't know which to pick!

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Work From Home Center said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a work at home call center
site/blog. It pretty much covers work at home call center
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about philosophy of nursing and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about philosophy of nursing so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by philosophy of nursing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.
Technorati search
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter Who Links Here Blogarama - The Blog Directory