Technorati href="http://www.technorProfile Thinking Nurse: Death of Jef Raskin

Thinking Nurse

This blog will reflect my interests in learning disabilities, nursing, nursing theory, philosophy and politics and my general interests in the arts and literature. (Nursing is an art as well as a science!) Philosophy and nursing have been intrinsically linked since the days of Socrates, his mother was a midwife, and taught him everything he knew!

Friday, March 04, 2005

Death of Jef Raskin

I have just heard about the tragic death of Jef Raskin, the brilliant designer of computer interfaces.

I was lucky enough to have a flurry of correspondance a few months ago, with Jef about Nursing Theory.

I had read and greatly admired his critique of Martha Rogers. 'Humbug Nursing Theory' so I sent him an email, asking a few questions about his arguments. He replied in great detail and depth, and we were soon having an interesting debate.

I discussed a few of my own ideas about nursing with him, and he was very helpful in making me clarify my thoughts and terms (In fact he was merciless in exposing their wooliness and weakness! - particularly about my use in some of my arguments of the term 'technologies' to apply to methods of thought - which did not fit with his definition of a technology - I have now stopped using that term in that way!).

I went on to write two posts about Jef Raskin, the first is here: 'Jeff Raskin Vs Martha Rogers’ where I discuss his brilliantly written biting destruction of Martha Rogers' rather supernatural nursing theories, and the second here:
'Nursing: The Humane Interface, More on Raskin and Rogers’ where I use the analogy of Raskin's humane interface between human being and computer to discuss the role of the nurse, as a 'humane interface' between the person and the highly complex healthcare machine: We nurses need to find ways to open up healthcare to all people in the same way that Raskin found ways to open up information technology.

Jef Raskin is everywhere - chances are you are at this moment using a device or a piece of software designed according to Raskin's principles. The really great thing about Raskin was that he opened up computing to everyday people, making the Computer a tool of the masses rather than just of a small technocratic code-literate elite.

Thinking Nurse sends deepest condolences to Raskin's family, and to everyone who knew him. His contribution to modern society is far greater than is yet realised.

2 Comments:

At 5:39 AM, Anonymous philosophy of nursing said...

Hi Thinking Nurse, I read your post which I find interesting and very informative! I was also looking for related info which I found
Some at uk nursing
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

 
At 1:58 AM, Anonymous philosophy of nursing said...

Hey this blog is not about nursing

I have been doing hours of research on "nursing" and it brought me to your blog on Death of Jef Raskin. Anyways, Thinking Nurse I was reading your blog and I think it is really cool. It’s really a pleasure reading your posts! Keep up the great work.

Keep blogging away :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.
Technorati search
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter Who Links Here Blogarama - The Blog Directory