Technorati href="http://www.technorProfile Thinking Nurse: Tsunami Action

Thinking Nurse

This blog will reflect my interests in learning disabilities, nursing, nursing theory, philosophy and politics and my general interests in the arts and literature. (Nursing is an art as well as a science!) Philosophy and nursing have been intrinsically linked since the days of Socrates, his mother was a midwife, and taught him everything he knew!

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Tsunami Action

The horrifying effects of the Tsunami that devastated coastlines across Asia have been felt, in these days of international travel, by every nation in the world. The full death toll is yet to be counted, but there is little doubt that it will climb much higher than even the astronomical figures being quoted today.

The Tsunami is being followed by another tidal wave, of human solidarity with the victims of this disaster - Western tourists are praising the Thai people who gave them shelter and food in the immediate aftermath, despite the many doubtless losses of their own that they had to deal with, and there is money pouring from the pockets of millions of ordinary people across the globe into the collection jars of charities that provide emergency relief in disaster. Even these funds will be inadequate to deal with the full effects of the earthquake.

The huge wave of sympathy, solidarity and charitable giving shows the human priorities of the vast majority of ordinary people.

There is one sad fact though - the amount contributed by the British and American governments towards aid for this disaster will be a tiny fraction of the amount they are spending on weapons and war in Iraq, showing the twisted priorities of those who hold power.

Thinking Nurse looks forward to the day when Emergency Disaster Relief is an unquestionable obligation on states, and when governments have to go out rattling tins in the street to raise money for their wars...

16 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Seyms said...

Hey, Max - thanks for leaving a message on my tag board (at Seyms Nurse in Training Blog http://seyms.bravejournal.com ) and alerting me to your blog. It's great and I'll be popping back regularly. Keep up the good work and may it inspire many more Thinking Nurses out there.

Best regards and Happy New Year

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Thinking Nurse said...

No problem Seyms - you will see a permanent link to your site posted in my links list. Keep blogging away!

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Tom Naka said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about health virginia womens
. It pretty much covers health virginia womens
related stuff.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger jobs123 said...

Hey nice blog, really nice! I just want to let you know I have an las vegas travel
site - blog too!
It's a free information site with tips and secrets for saving big money on your next vacation!

It mostly deals with las vegas travel plus other stuff
You Can Save Up to 50% off your next vacation
You Should check it out if you get the chance :-)

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Dominicans resources said...

FREE Wordpress Hosted Blogs With 10 Customised Templates To Choose From at Blogsilla.com

free people search

Free unlimited number of blogs

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Gordon said...

Just visited your blog, it's great. I have a jobs seeking website which is informative and you can find info of different job natures, hope that it will be useful in your job seeking

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Orendon said...

WOW! What a great site you have here. I found it from my search for alternative medicine detroit and it's a cut above the others. Even though my research lead me here and the revelance may not be exact, your content is very beneficial and rewarding. Here's some of me results regarding alternative medicine detroit

 
At 3:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about nursing boards and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about nursing boards so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by nursing boards

 
At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job on your blog! I am book marking your site for future reference.

I have recently created a control in stress

site/blog. It pretty much covers control in stress
related stuff.

Stop by and check it out if you have time.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Living in Thailand said...

We have a website that was created during the Tsunami please let us know if any people there is found and we will delete themAfter the Tsunami

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Richard K said...

Hi, your blog is fantastic! Well done!

I have a world travel site/blog. It pretty much covers world travel related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 5:35 AM, Anonymous nursing said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a nursing site/blog. It pretty much covers nursing related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 5:43 AM, Anonymous philosophy of nursing said...

Hi Thinking Nurse, I have been visiting sites for hours and I really like what you have done with your blog. Informative and interesting! In fact I found your site just after
I visited veterinary nursing
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous uk nursing said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a nursing degree online site/blog. It pretty much covers nursing degree online related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Cardiology News said...

Hi,
I found reading your blog interesting and well done, I do like what you have done with your site but it is not really the information I was after about Medical Research . Keep up the good work and hopefully I will visit again sometime and also find the information on Medical Research that I was looking for in my travels.
Regards,

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous nurse said...

Hi - I’m a newbie trying to find some information
relating to uk nursing
However, I managed to find your Blog which I think is interesting and had some relevance to what I was looking for. Thanks for your post and do keep up your good work.!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.
Technorati search
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter Who Links Here Blogarama - The Blog Directory