Technorati href="http://www.technorProfile Thinking Nurse: Nursing - The Humane Interface (More on Raskin and Rogers)

Thinking Nurse

This blog will reflect my interests in learning disabilities, nursing, nursing theory, philosophy and politics and my general interests in the arts and literature. (Nursing is an art as well as a science!) Philosophy and nursing have been intrinsically linked since the days of Socrates, his mother was a midwife, and taught him everything he knew!

Monday, December 20, 2004

Nursing - The Humane Interface (More on Raskin and Rogers)

I have had some horrified feedback on my article on Raskin Vs Rogers (17 Dec 2004). Apparently , comparing the interface between a human and a computer and a patient and a nurse is evidence of my 'empirical science' mindset and my failure to recognise 'human science'.

I think the problem is partly that I did not express myself clearly enough in my previous post, and partly that some people are reading it through an ideological filter.

Anyway, I will write a little more about why I think Raskin's work is analogous to some of the tasks of nursing, in the hope that it will make my meaning a little clearer.

As I wrote previously, Raskin's big achievement was to open up computers to non-technical users - before he started using such things as icons and 'click and drag' using a computer was a difficult and laborious process. You needed to understand obscure technical language, and know all the possibilities of a machine with enormous functionality, far more than you were ever likely to use.

I feel that patients/clients of the health system are today faced with a similar problem - the healthcare machine uses obscure language, and has vast functionality, much more than any individual person is likely to use (he would be unfortunate indeed)!

The point of interface between the complex bureaucratic Gormenghast that is today's hospital or healthcare system and the patient is the nurse - it is a job of nurses to make this interface as 'user friendly' as possible - and as open to human beings of all levels of ability and intelligence as possible. This is where the 'human science' comes in - being able to relate to people in a human way, rather than merely a representative of the state, or the healthcare institution, and to spend the time neccessary to make the services that are due to people by right, actually accessible (and understandable) to them.

I am glad to be getting feedback on my posts, and astonished at the level of interest they have created only days after I started this weblog. I hope people will continue to read and comment on these posts, and that this site, in it's own small way, contributes to the discussion and debate surrounding modern nursing.

2 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my last assignment at uni was therapuetic relationships which involved examining some of the more popular nurse theorists. i was quite appallled at some of the clap-trap i read from rogers, jean watson etc. i liked most of benner but really the mythological/theological thread that runs thru most of the theorists work is too weird to digest

 
At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about nursing course and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about nursing course so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by nursing course

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.
Technorati search
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter Who Links Here Blogarama - The Blog Directory